How often do Silkies go broody?

How old do they usually get? Also the roosters? Prince Charming is same age than Brownie. about 1 year and 3-4 months old

Brownie is the sweetest and best momma taking care of and defending her babies. But I also have to give credit to my white Silkie roo prince Charming. The reason for his name is: he’s so sweet, loves to get petted and eat out of my hand, whenever he hears me he crows, he takes care of all baby chicks: he shows them food, plays with them and most important: if they are scared they run and hide under him 😍

It totally varies. It is not unusual for a Silkie, which has been well cared for, to make it beyond 5 years of age, the average age of death for most chickens. 7 or 8 years is common, however they don't necessarily brood well in advanced years.

Do be aware that Silkies are prone to Marek's disease, and than can stunt their life. (I lost one to that).

LofMc
I’m sorry. is there a way to prevent that?
Sorry I’m asking so many questions, but you seem to be years ahead of me in Silkie knowledge

My sister's silkie broody schedule used to be lay eggs for 3-4 weeks, go broody, & repeat.

Now she's 3, & doesn't go broody as often, but gives us lots of eggs.

My sister's silkie broody schedule used to be lay eggs for 3-4 weeks, go broody, & repeat.

Now she's 3, & doesn't go broody as often, but gives us lots of eggs.
That seems about right. She’s been laying again every other day for the last 3-4 weeks. This week she started running “her“ Easter Egger babies off when they get close to her, even though they’ve been sleeping away from her on roost for about 2-3 weeks now

I’m sorry. is there a way to prevent that?
Sorry I’m asking so many questions, but you seem to be years ahead of me in Silkie knowledge

If you purchase a Silkie from the feed store, ask if they were vaccinated for Marek's. That is no guarantee of prevention (no more than the flu shot is), however it can help.

Or purchase only from a reputable breeder who breeds for Marek's resistant Silkies.

I've not had a lot of Silkies, just a string of about 4 or 5 birds over about 5 to 6 years, my oldest purchased as a mature brooder at 4 years of age. But, I did use them solely for brooding purposes.

I now have Cochins, as I was less able to get quality Silkies. I prefer the Silkies for brooding, but my Cochin gals were excellent...just a little less broody prolific...however better for Marek's resistance.

It helps to keep your Silkies separate from your main flock as they really are special birds. They don't travel well in a large fowl flock, and typically don't get respect there. That can expose them less to the Marek's in the big flock.

They are very happy in their own isolated pen filled with treats and care.

LofMc

That seems about right. She’s been laying again every other day for the last 3-4 weeks. This week she started running “her“ Easter Egger babies off when they get close to her, even though they’ve been sleeping away from her on roost for about 2-3 weeks now
Maybe she's weaning them early? My sister's silkie hen raised chicks up to 6 weeks old, & weaned them off her.

If you purchase a Silkie from the feed store, ask if they were vaccinated for Marek's. That is no guarantee of prevention (no more than the flu shot is), however it can help.

Or purchase only from a reputable breeder who breeds for Marek's resistant Silkies.

I've not had a lot of Silkies, just a string of about 4 or 5 birds over about 5 to 6 years, my oldest purchased as a mature brooder at 4 years of age. But, I did use them solely for brooding purposes.

I now have Cochins, as I was less able to get quality Silkies. I prefer the Silkies for brooding, but my Cochin gals were excellent...just a little less broody prolific...however better for Marek's resistance.

It helps to keep your Silkies separate from your main flock as they really are special birds. They don't travel well in a large fowl flock, and typically don't get respect there. That can expose them less to the Marek's in the big flock.

LofMc
Large silkies work in large fowl flocks :p .
1029191344.jpg
1029191344a.jpg
LF rooster compared to bantam rooster.

LofMc
Brownie seems to rule the flock, since she hatched her first eggs and ferociously defended her babies. If she takes a Run At the Easter Eggers, australorp or wyandotte, they scatter 😂
But I’m starting to think about separating the silkies from the rest, or expanding for all. Not sure yet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom