How Often Do You Change Swimming H2O?

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
I have 5 ducks, 3 of whom are constantly in the large kiddie pool we have set up for them. I clean it out every other day and scrub out the gross. The problem is that even though I use the mucky water for watering our plants, it's a lot of water, and we're in a drought.

We are going to make an actual pond for them in the spring with plants and swirl filters, but they've got their kiddie pool for now. It turns brown within the first couple of hours, so I have no misconceptions about keeping the thing sparkling and clear. But if I could even wait one more day, I'd be saving a ton of water.

I guess what I want to know is how dirty is too dirty???

I'd totally get some sort of filtration system going, but I'm not super keen on doing that knowing I'm going to build a whole new system in the next 6 months.

That’s a tough dilemma! Because I would totally be wanting to change the water constantly too, can’t stand looking at dirty water even for my chickens hahah, but also understand being in a drought and trying to save water. I would think waiting an extra day would be fine but maybe not? Would it be possible to maybe get them a smaller pool temporarily? So you use less water? Although then you may need to change it more with it being smaller so maybe wouldn’t work. But was just was thinking maybe a smaller tub or something would use less. Or maybe you could even just change it just like halfway or something? Like freshen it up a bit and make it last longer without totally changing it every time? Haven’t had ducks myself so no idea if these would actually work or not but just something to think about and maybe one of them would help.

@Miss Lydia @BantyChooks @shawluvsbirds @Overo Mare might know better if these are good ideas or to ignore me 😂🙈

That’s a tough dilemma! Because I would totally be wanting to change the water constantly too, can’t stand looking at dirty water even for my chickens hahah, but also understand being in a drought and trying to save water. I would think waiting an extra day would be fine but maybe not? Would it be possible to maybe get them a smaller pool temporarily? So you use less water? Although then you may need to change it more with it being smaller so maybe wouldn’t work. But was just was thinking maybe a smaller tub or something would use less. Or maybe you could even just change it just like halfway or something? Like freshen it up a bit and make it last longer without totally changing it every time? Haven’t had ducks myself so no idea if these would actually work or not but just something to think about and maybe one of them would help.

@Miss Lydia @BantyChooks @shawluvsbirds @Overo Mare might know better if these are good ideas or to ignore me 😂🙈
These have all been my thoughts, too!

I may just break down and get a filter. I'm concerned that mucky water will be detrimental to their health, you know? I'll figure out something... maybe...

These have all been my thoughts, too!

I may just break down and get a filter. I'm concerned that mucky water will be detrimental to their health, you know? I'll figure out something... maybe...
Yeah that makes sense! I would be concerned about that too! Maybe you could find a cheaper filter somewhere?

Yeah that makes sense! I would be concerned about that too! Maybe you could find a cheaper filter somewhere?
Well, I figure I'll go ahead and spend the $$$ and use it in conjunction with a swirl filter once we dig the pond. I'm just grumpy about it. It'll be my Christmas present to the ducks. That's how I'll justify it.

But I'm open to hearing any and all input... of course...
😁

Well, I figure I'll go ahead and spend the $$$ and use it in conjunction with a swirl filter once we dig the pond. I'm just grumpy about it. It'll be my Christmas present to the ducks. That's how I'll justify it.

But I'm open to hearing any and all input... of course...
😁
Yeah that’s a good idea! And maybe someone will have another suggestion hahah

I change one of my pools everyday and the other every other day. And yes it is a lot of water. I tried to conserve water in the beginning, but with the number of ducks I have they really need the cleaner water. I have seen feather quality drop before because they didn't wash as much. So I started to change it more often. My ducks make a beeline for the clean pool. I can't really say if three days is too long, but it feels long.

Since you have just five, you could try using a concrete mixing tub for the winter and not necessarily give it to them everyday. That would cut down the amount of water. They certainly don't need a bath every single day, but they certainly do love it.

Concrete mixing tubs here for the most part.
I have a large stock tank sunk in the ground for my calls I think it's about 60 gallons.
There's no way I can change that out any more often than about every 3 days. I close that off in the winter and just give them a concrete mixing tub on nice days to clean up in.
The cayugas have concrete mixing tubs year round the largest ones I have found. The seem plenty happy with them. I change them about every other day.
I have a deeper fountain pond thing in my yard they have access to if I let them out in the yard. But honestly they seem just as happy with the tubs.

I am sure if you have the resources time and money there would be a solution to building a pond with a nice filtration system.
But I would say for most of us that's just not practical.
I just emptied these and refilled them yesterday afternoon. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Ducks are just dirty. I give up worrying about their swimming water being dirty as long as it isn't growing anything in it. Lol. I do try to make sure they have access to clean drinking water daily. So at least there is some clean water to wash down all the mucky water with. 🤪
20211128_122120.jpg
20211128_122202_HDR.jpg

I walked outside to take that picture and stepped in a nice fresh pile of Mason 💩💩💩💩.
Thanks Dawg.

Back
Top Bottom