How often do you change the wafers?

Crunchie

Brook Valley Farm
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Maryland
In your Hovabators? I have the forced-air model. Is this something that you need to do often? My last hatch I had some trouble keeping temps stable, so I'm wondering...but that would have only been the second hatch on that wafer, you don't have to change them that often, do you?

Wafers should last a long time. I had one going on twenty years. But I never unplugged it. It would take to long to get it regulated and since I live in a warm climate I hatched almost all year round. Are there any cold drafts blowing on the Hov.? That sometimes can cause a temp. change.

Last edited:
I would change them every year at least. They do leak and get stretching after prolonged use. Also keep the contact point on the thermo switch sprayed with W-D 40 while not in use and it will last a lifetime

Hi, you could have a bad one from factory as i know i have gotten one like that, bought a whole pack and one was bad in it, we change wafers here every year as we hatch up wards of 2000 eggs a year so we always have a fresh one in the bators to start the new year off.... But they should last a long time if just useing a few times a year and the bator is stored in a dry area.

charlie

Last edited:
Quote:
Every year if you use it a lot, otherwise every two years.

Wafers can last a very long time, but as they work by expanding and contracting, eventually they *work-harden*, and can fail suddenly, or gradually.

They are cheap, don't risk it.

Back
Top Bottom