1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often do you change your PDZ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by candr01, Jan 8, 2015.

1. candr01

candr01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    My Coop
    I have a small 4'x4' coop with attached 4'x8' run. Since the coop is so small I use PDZ on the whole floor of the coop - makes poop-scoopin' a breeze! I have just 2 girls in my coop.

I've used the same PDZ for about 6 months now. It still seems fine but I imagine at some point it's efficacy will fall and it will need to be replaced. I use sand in the outside run so thought to just sweep the used PDZ into the run and add 2 or 3 new bags to the coop. Just wondering how long people keep their PDZ before replacing it? 6 months? A year? Longer?

Loooove using PDZ. Makes the whole chicken thing sooo much easier. Thanks for the tip, BYC peeps!

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I would think so long as there's no odor, it's still working.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    When it starts to stink.

4. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    Theoretically, PDZ can be washed and reused, though we've never tried that. We go with the "your nose knows" approach. We're big fans of PDZ

5. CalgaryFarmer

CalgaryFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't use it. See the material safety data sheet. If it was on a poop board and they do not peck around on it or walk on it and the coop is well ventilated then maybe it would not be a problem.

http://shop.2farm.com/pdf/msds/A0001050.pdf

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I used it in my large coop for one year, and I never changed it. I would buy a new bag or two every 10 days or so, and just add it to the top. It always smelled clean. After trying it, I found that my coop was too large, and I went back to pine shavings on the floor. I would recommend it for any smaller coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by