How often do you clean your coop?

BarefootMom

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Half Way, Missouri
I am sorta new to this chicken thing- really new to having lots of chickens! We have only had our layers for a week today. Our coop is an 8x12 storage building- with a plywood floor. We have wheat straw on the floor and in the nests. The flies are terrible! I am going to clean it out this evening when it cools off a bit, but was wondering how often other people have to clean their coop?

Does anyone use cedar chips for the floor? Does it help with flies? I know with dogs cedar is recommended because fleas and ticks don't like it.

welcome-byc.gif

we use pine shavings and deep litter method
wheat straw is going to rot and smell horrible and attract more flies
cedar is toxic to birds

this might help
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5969235_litter-chickens_-pine-cedar-shavings_.html

Cedar has oils in it that are supposed to be bad for chickens. I use the deep litter method with pine shavings and Diatomaceous Earth. I "stir" the litter at least once a week, and clean beneath the roosts before I do that. I've noticed that most of the filth accumulates directly under the roost they sleep on. That makes cleaning a little easier and the deep litter method very effective.

Hi there! I also have an 8x12 small building for my chickens. It's got an 8x8 room, and an 8x4 room. I use wood shavings in mine. About every third week, I totally sweep it out and put new shavings down. It's really cheap--a great big compressed bag only costs $5.00, and it's enought to fill the whole coop.

I take a kitty litter scoop, and do a quick round each night and scoop out the big poops. This really cuts down--I've had hardly any flies. It's really easy--takes about five or ten minutes. Now, mine aren't locked in all day....they have a run, and they also get to free range for around four hours a day, so there's a bit less poop than If they were locked in.

I have sand in my run, and I spot clean that too with the kitty scooper. It's quick and easy. Virtually no flies!

I save the cedar for the isles of my veg beds for that reason. No bugs. I use Coffee chaff for my hen house and I love it. Smells good. I have a small coop so I every other day I scrape the poop board off and use a kitty litter scooper to get the clumps off the floor. Every so often I add a little more chaff.

I use the deep litter method and I finally cleaned it all out after a year. By that time it had just started to smell a bit ammonia-y and I just thought a year was well past time. I think I'll try to do it twice a year from now on since it took a long time to shovel out all those pineshavings that had accumulated. It really didn't look like it but they seemed to multiply the more I shoveled. I live in uber dry Northern Arizona so that may have allowed me so much time. The chicken poop just seems to desicate very quickly here.

I haven't had to work hard at all on cleaning my coop with the Deep Litter Method. This has been the best thing since sliced bread. We've had our coop for a year now and only cleaned it out totally 3 times. I use the pine shavings on the wooden floor with the DE sprinkled in whenever I think about it, every few weeks probably. Once in a while, I will take a pitchfork and turn over the shavings. If it looks like the chips are getting low, I just add more on top and the girls scratch them in with the rest. No cleaning up boards or anything. Flies aren't a problem and no smell. I use hay in their nest boxes which stays put.

I'm a happy chicken mom!! Less cleaning means more time to play with the chickens.

Quote:
sounds like what i do, except minus the DE. The girls scratch it up enough so that i don't need to turn it. We live in a very humid area, and i have not noticed problems with wet/soggy litter. There is enough litter on the floor that it absorbs quickly, and my chickens are not over crowded, which makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom