how often do you clean your duck pond?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fancie, May 4, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I do it weekly but it is about a 4 hour advent, and the water never seems to get as clean as I would like it to. I was thinking maybe if I cleaned it more maybe it wouldn't take so long and maybe I would get better results.

Also do any of you use the water to water the gardens?? this is my first year... I heard duck water is good for gardens.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I clean my pond out once every four days. The water has all the duck poo in it which has nutrents for plants. . My plants love it.

3. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    I have a 7' x 9' pond that i drain, clean and refill about every 5 days, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, depending on weather.

I have to drain it no more than every four days in the summer due to algea, if i stay on top of it, its not to bad to deal with, if i let it go its a pain in the butt.

As for the water, i drain it into a field right now, but i am going to rototill the ground where i drain it and put some melons there, might as well make use of the waste water, seems the weeds love it!!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a 500 gallon pond. I have a large bio filter so I don't clean it. It has been a couple of months and I DO need to suck the sediment out of the bottom. I will put that muck in the garden somewhere [​IMG]

5. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I have a small plastic turtle with a drain at the bottom as my duck pond...its the type that usually has a lid, but I got it free without the lid [​IMG]

I dug a small pit at one end of where I would put it (kinda like a 6" deep 2 ft wide ditch) and placed some larger rocks in it, laid the drain end of the poole over this.

I use this for my 20 ducks and my four geese.

I drain it every day and rinse the muck out. My garned is downhill from the pond water runoff, and it feeds the nearby grapevine I use as a privacy fence, too (without any help from me).

It is a five minute process to drain, rinse, and add more water.

Every month I let it dry for about 3 days or so just to keep the muck smell away, and to deal witht he flies attracted to the smell.

6. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:what is a good way of sucking the sediment?? I take a old coffe can when the pond is drained near fully. Is there a better way??

7. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I was going to try the wet/dry shopvac. Not sure if it will work, but I am going to give it a go. I will let you know how much of a disaster that turns out to be [​IMG]

8. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Wifezilla, where did you get the bio filter? What are the dimensions of your pond?

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My pond is a pre-formed liner. I made the bio-filter based loosely on the Skippy filter...

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm
    http://www.skippysstuff.com/minime.htm

I took a large plastic decorative pot, ran the 1/2 tubing from the pump in to the bottom, filled it with bio-degradable furnace filter pieces and then put a drain spout near the top.

I tried to grow duck weed in the top open pot, but the stupid snow froze it. I need to buy more [​IMG]

10. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:what is a good way of sucking the sediment?? I take a old coffe can when the pond is drained near fully. Is there a better way??

i use a gallon milk jug with part of the top (leaving the handle) cut off like a scoup. i should experiment with cutting the thing differently maybe from the bottom to make the scoup...works good for me in my 85 gal. fish pond after i have used the sump pump (that we use on the swimming pool cover in winter to keep water from collecting) and less often i'ved used my WET DRY shop vac. I didn't know i had to take the foam filter off of my vac before I used it for water tho....

i wouldnt be able to scoup the whole pond tho. have to get it out some other way. wonder if a person could design a siphone system somehow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by