How often do you clean your waterer?

Maybe not pertinent but besides a 5 gallon waterer with nipples, in the summer I give them a wading pool which of course they drink out of too (and crap in) and I clean it as needed which means multiple times a day.

As needed. Depends on the time of year, the temperature, how many birds, how creative they are getting in kicking up their DL around the waterer (setting on cinder blocks) My usual scrubbing routine: Dump waterers, put about a qt. of water in one bell and a small squirt of dish soap, grab a fist full of creeping charlie (makes a great disposable scrubby, and releases a fresh minty scent while I'm doing the scrubbing) I scrub the first bell, then transfer the soapy water to the next bell or bucket, and continue down the line till all have been scrubbed. Rinse and refill. Between scrubbing, I simply rinse and refill. No creeping charlie? A fist full of clean hay or long grass/weeds will do.

I fill with fresh water daily, usually swishing and dumping a bit to rinse out the mud. Once a week I take it in the house and scrub it down with dish soap and hot water in the sink. I live in a cold climate and don't get much in the way of algae growth or anything like that, mostly just mud and wood chips the chickens kick in there.

This is the type of waterer I have (maybe it makes a difference with how often it needs cleaning). It's set up on a wood block, but they still kick things into it or knock the whole thing over.

https://www.qcsupply.com/420311-plastic-poultry-waterer.html

I fill with fresh water daily, usually swishing and dumping a bit to rinse out the mud. Once a week I take it in the house and scrub it down with dish soap and hot water in the sink. I live in a cold climate and don't get much in the way of algae growth or anything like that, mostly just mud and wood chips the chickens kick in there.

This is the type of waterer I have (maybe it makes a difference with how often it needs cleaning). It's set up on a wood block, but they still kick things into it or knock the whole thing over.

https://www.qcsupply.com/420311-plastic-poultry-waterer.html
Same as mine and I also use rubber livestock bowls in the winter and outside..I'm in a cold climate and algae grows in the water containers...Not a big deal..I then use a scrub brush to rinse out if needed?

Haha! I can relate! It's a never ending chore! It helps if I think about personally having to drink out of the waterers. If I say "No way" - it's time! There is a good algeacide (copper sulfate) that will make cleaning easier, and is especially made for poultry. As far as practicality, I clean my 5 gallon waterers a couple times a week -very thoroughly- and I do a less thorough cleaning (scrub the tray and partial dump) almost daily. My smaller waterers have to be completely done almost every day.
I myself do it too. If I wouldn't drink it then my girls shouldn't either. Yuck!!

Back
Top Bottom