How often do you clean?

Every day in the coop and never in the run.

In the coop, I have tried wood shavings and straws (deep litter) but neither worked the way I liked. I switched to sand (litter box) and liked it. I then found that all I need is a thin layer like flour on the counter top when making bread, works very well. I have a compact coop with no poop deck. So it takes me 10 minutes to scoop once a day. The run has leafs on dirt. The poops get turned and broken down and turned into earth.

I have a straw and shavings mix in mine. My chickens poop mostly in the nesting boxes, and they sure are a pain to clean! I have noticed that any poop in the run seems to be broken down pretty fast, which is awesome.

I spend about 10 minutes each am filling up food/water, raking the run over (straw/leaves/grass clippings) and then turning the hay in the coop. I've only had chickens for 4 weeks now, but I'm already going to clean out my coop completely this weekend, spray it down with some TKO to sanitize, do some reworking, and put in all new bedding. Building the nest boxes, poop board using sand/pdz, and switching from hay to pine shavings...........I have learned that I just hate the smell of hay!!! I also keep a feeder in there because one of my chickens spends her time in it alot, but she turns the feeder over, so i'm building a built-in feeder on the wall too (i say 'I", but really hubby).

I spend about 10 minutes each am filling up food/water, raking the run over (straw/leaves/grass clippings) and then turning the hay in the coop. I've only had chickens for 4 weeks now, but I'm already going to clean out my coop completely this weekend, spray it down with some TKO to sanitize, do some reworking, and put in all new bedding. Building the nest boxes, poop board using sand/pdz, and switching from hay to pine shavings...........I have learned that I just hate the smell of hay!!! I also keep a feeder in there because one of my chickens spends her time in it alot, but she turns the feeder over, so i'm building a built-in feeder on the wall too (i say 'I", but really hubby).
What is TKO?

Back
Top Bottom