how often do you collect eggs?

On the day I don't work, I check for eggs 2-3 times a day. Days that I work, I have to leave by 5:30 am, so I only check for eggs when I get home after work.

I give our chickens a treat (collected leftovers) at about 8 AM or so. There are usually no eggs at that time. Our coop is right next to the house and I can usually hear the egg songs. There are several that lay between 10 and 12. Then I have one chicken that for some unknown reason lays her egg in the run later in the day. I do think the 26 hour clock is about right as I have noticed that the laying times shift a little later every day and then seem to reset. Since I let them out to free range in the late afternoon I have to watch for any late layers as they will lay under the rosemary bush or on the stone path along the house. If I am home I check 2 to 3 times a day. Sometimes if I hear the egg song I will investigate to see what I got.

I usually collect the eggs in the late afternoon. I have some birds that tend to lay later in the day. I collect the eggs and when I go out in the evening to turn on their electric fence I check for any that may have been layed after I had collected the eggs a bit earlier.

Back
Top Bottom