how often do you collect eggs?

newchick13

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Somers NY
I have read that chickens lay every 26-28 hours, which I think should mean that each day the time of lay will get later and later until she skips a day. I also have read that they only lay in the mornings, but I just found an egg that was laid around 3:30. Just wondering if collecting at the end of the day is easier than going out a few times a day? I just started getting eggs, so I feel like I am a stalker! I was out there 5 times today! Will my excitement scare them off their nest if they are just settling in to lay?

In my first few years of having chickens I collected several times a day. Now with cooler weather my DH and I have a new routine. DH doesn't want me to carry heavy 3 lb. waterers, so when he gets home we go out together and tend to the chickens. He does the waterers while I feed and offer scratch. I then collect the eggs.

In the heat of summer I do collect at least twice a day, sometimes more.

As far as the egg laying goes.... My brahmas (my oldest birds) have always stuck to the 26 hr. routine. If they lay their eggs at 10 AM on Monday I can expect them to lay around 11 AM on Tuesdays. My younger birds (turkens, EE, SS, mixed breeds) with few exceptions seem to lay whenever.

When I'm not pregnant, I check 3+ times aday. Lately now that I'm 20 weeks and feeling better 1-2 times aday. The kids where doing it for me a while ago and they did it A LOT! My chickens see humans a lot between me and my family.

Last edited:
I guess because I am a SAHM, I check after 10 am, then after I pick my youngest up from school about noon. Then again about 2 pm, and then when my oldest gets home from school at 4 pm. I have morning mid day and late afternoon layers. Plus mine are just starting to lay, so I never know when they may lay. Right now my EE lays every other day, and I am waiting for my other EE to start laying any day now.

several times a day, right now to prevent frozen eggs...

usually around 7 am, then again at noon, then around 3ish...I have a late layer

SAHM - collect once before 11am and again when I go to lock the girls up for the night. I have morning layers and afternoon layers.
hu.gif
Starting to keep track of at least how many eggs I get a day - have a spread sheet I made and have columns for the date, AM, PM, and total (with the grand total adding up for the end of the month). Haven't been keeping track for very long tho' - less than a month altogether. I get more eggs in the afternoon than the morning tho'.

Back
Top Bottom