How often do you collect your eggs?

clucky2

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
NORCAL
I was just given as excellent book about raising chickens. It mentions we should be collecting eggs at least 3 times a day. I was getting all our eggs mid morning, but now there's an egg pecker, so I'm checking more often. What is everyone else's routine?!

During the week I get any before work, normally just one or two, then check after work to get the rest.

During the weekend on the otherhand when we are home I check several times a day! I even sit out there in the morning for about an hour watching them lay. It is so interesting.

The kids get home early afternoon, and my youngest one loves to gather the eggs. If not everyone has laid by then, then I check again when I put them to bed.

On weekends when I'm home, I check more often just because it's fun.

Thankfully (knock on wood) I don't have any egg peckers.

I usually collect alll the eggs after i got home from work around 4pm. Sometimes i have to kick a broody hen off the eggs and she growls at me
lau.gif
Then my mean Polish rooster comes in the coop and attacks me
gig.gif
I think he is trying to protect her

Depends on if I'm off or working. If I'm off I'll check periodically through the day. If I'm working days only once if I'm on nights then through the day also. I worry sometimes because when I'm on days I leave the house at 4am and don't get home till after 5 in the evening so I just hope their okay!!

Missi

Once a day for me! In the evening when we get home from work! Even on the weekends I only go out once to collect them, but if the grandkids are here, they are out about every 1/2hour to see if there is any new ones!!
wee.gif

I have to check really often, but I work from home and that makes all the difference. The big yellow rat snake gets them if I don't. He's a good snake, so I just have to outwit him!
big_smile.png

Heah!...during this discussion my Ameraucana, "Sassafras", went from the yard into the coop to a nest box and laid her first egg!! I'm so proud of her! She's the last one to lay in my little flock of 6. It's a beautiful light blue. Our only blue egger, so this is very special. There was some fresh blood on it. I washed it off and put it with the other 2 brown eggs from this morning. It looks so lovely.

I feed up about 7am or 8, this time of year. . There are usually a few eggs then. I come back at 4:30 pm and check again and give treats. I am likely to go out about any time in between to get a chicken fix and I'll pick up the eggs. LOL Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom