How often do you let your chickens out of the run?

I was so naive with my first pair that I didnt even cover the run.. and the roost was the same height as the nest box... and they had a dog bowl as a waterer... and only ate what I threw them in the morning (which the pigeons got half of).

Needless to say, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. But the interesting part was they NEVER got eaten. They died on something else (no idea what, they got really sluggish, then died).

So basically, I'm VERY complacent about them. Which will probably bite me in the butt one day. My current birds are locked in at night, and spend most of the day free ranging in my backyard.

Just hope none of the neighbours get a cat. :p then again, my dog HATES cats, and chases them out of the yard, but she's scared of the chickens... go figure

Mine, next to never, but I had one particular one, Ms. Margeret was an escape artist. Well, the first time I freaked and ran all over the place looking for her, just to find her right by the house. The second time she came right to me, with food, the third time, I had my DH fix the run so she couldn't escape. She hasn't escaped since.
smile.png

I have 6 BR's in a 10 x 6 run. I let them out most evenings for a while. I put them in our fenced in yard to help protect them from predators. Haven't had any problems and they love it. Once it starts getting dark they wait at the gate, I open it and they go back into their coop and go to bed. You are right however to be cautious.

Quote:
Hmmm...that's exactly how I've been doing it with my two dogs. I hope it pays off as well for me in the future.

I have a BIG run for 5 birds (16 x 36), but I still plan on letting mine out early next spring (mine are still chicks now). As another poster said, I will use it as an excuse to either sit outside and read, or garden, or whatever... Because I only have a few, it would hit hard if something happened to one of them, so they will have to be supervised. I'll be posting next spring to see how people get them to go back into the run...lol.

My chickens are beggers so I let them out most days all afternoon. Until recently I always watched them. But this week I need to repair their run, as my horse thought it look cozy and broke in.They have been locked in at night and let out to free range in the morning the last 4 days. There is really nothing to get them here but Coyotes because the Coyotes ate everything else and they sleep all day. They do however like to dig holes in my flower bed and leave unwanted gifts on my porch. Are neighbors are some distance, but I worry about thier dogs (No cats Coyotes again). My dogs are to lazy to hurt a chicken even it they had a chance.

Last edited:
Quote:
Did they just dig in your garden, or did they eat the veggies too? the only thing that survived the grasshopper infestation this year (my chicks were too young to free roam as they do now) was the garlic. But now that my fluffy friends free roam everyday, the garlic stays clipped off and occasionally I'll find a clove or two dug up. I thought at first it was my cats, until I caught the birds laying in flower/herb bed! I would love to let them keep free-roaming, as there's nothing cooler than coming home to fat cochin hens in the front yard, but idk if I'll be able to have my garden and my hens both. I want my cake and eat it too!

Quote:
Mine taught themselves. They return to the safety of their house right as dark sets in. I was worried at first that they wouldn't; and some days I needed to put them in early because I don't like to be gone while they're out, as I've had my little papillon dog kill some of my chickens (they weigh more than him now, so I don't know if that would happen again or not, but I'm not risking it). They're pretty easy to get back in their house. But they certainly surprised me, on the days that I didn't need to have them in early by putting themselves up for bedtime!

Back
Top Bottom