how often do you worm your goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ske1806, Nov 12, 2010.

1. ske1806

ske1806 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, New York
    What are the symptoms of a worm infested goat? How often should I worm? What are the consequences of NOT worming?

2. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    http://www.new-ag.info/03-2/develop/dev04.html

Deworm
    as needed. I use the famacha method. I use on,y ivermectin in pregnant does and moxydectin in the rest. Its the only dewormer that even works a little in the area.

Not deworming? Depends on the goats immune system and genetics. Some never need dewormed. Others will get bottle jaw and die pretty rapidly. I had some meat sheep pass out and die this summer when it was very very hot. They were too wormy to handle the heat. I was just getting around to deworming but took too long. I had a CAE positive goat that needed aggressive deowrming often due to the virus. My clean goats really only get deowmred after kidding.

3. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    IDK about goats but we deworm our horses every 2-3 months.

4. mgibbzzz

mgibbzzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Somerset, OH
    In the summer we worm monthly and every other month in the winter. We only use the same wormer twice in a row as they can become immune to it. If they are not wormed the end result is death. Once they get them so bad it is very difficult to get rid of. There have been large breeders that have lost half their herd from a worm infestation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by