How often do you...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DWavs, Jul 14, 2008.

1. DWavs

DWavs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    How often, on average, do you change the bedding in your coop? I am currently using pine shavings in a 4' x 8' coop.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I've got a two story 4x8 coop that I keep about an inch of shavings on. On the top level I have four adult hens, on the bottom I have 10 babies ranging from 2 to 4 months old.

I change my bedding weekly. If you wait to long the excrement that builds up can lead to coccidiosis and other diseases.
  3. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Is it absolutely necessary to use any kind of litter??? The reason I ask is that I have a dirt floor barn. During the day, the roosters free range while the three adult hens are in an 8 x 8 dog pen. The only buildup of poop is under where they roost at night.

My chicks are in a small brooder, and that does need to be cleaned out this week.

I'll dig out the pile in the barn if it gets a few inches thick - in just a small area. The only time I know I've battled coccidia is with a couple of little chicks.

Maybe this is dumb luck again???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by