How often do your hens go broody?

JFreeman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 23, 2012
Texarkana, Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
I have an OE that likes to go broody when other hens do. I say she is not a trend setter but a follower. Last year, she was an unreliable broody, so when she became broody this year, I let a Silkie start the clutch. After the Silkie decided to kick them all out of her nest and stop being broody, I put them all under the OE. Out of 6, 3 survived, so I got rid of that particular Silkie. My OE was happily caring for her three chicks (one ended up getting eaten by a snake, so now there are two).

Lately (around the last week or so), Mommy OE has been running away from the chicks, leaving them to their own devices, I think think they are about 3 weeks old. They seem to be really happy hanging around my Barred Rock Rooster, but as soon as Mommy hen reappears, they stick to her like glue.

Now, I have a broody Phoenix, and Mommy OE has decided to go broody AGAIN! Is this normal? I've never had a hen go broody more than once a year. My other Phoenix hen has also decided to go broody, so I now have three broody hens. The original hen is sitting on a clutch of 5 in a wire kennel to keep her eggs safe, and another will be set up tomorrow.

I tried looking up my answer, but couldn't find anything. Please forgive me if I am repeating a question already asked. I'll get pictures as soon as I can get them off iCloud.

Here she is immediately after her most recent hatch.

It's good to know it's normal. Will she stop caring for her older chicks while being broody, or should I remove them? They do get out and follow the rooster, steering clear of the flock of teens that seem to enjoy picking on them. I have 7 chicks about the same age in the brooder inside the house I recently bought I could put them with, but if they can stay with the outside flock, I would be happier.

if they are doing well with your regular flock, I'd leave them there. if you feel there is going to be too much picking on them, then it would be a good idea to move them. broody hens usually tend to do a good job of keeping the other birds away when they have babies. the problem is if mama is sitting on eggs then she won't be able to protect the babies.

Okay, good. I think they would be fine. The only ones that do any picking are the ruffly teens, but they try to stay out of the adult flock's way, and that's where the chicks tend to be. Even when Myrtle (Mommy hen) isn't around, the bigger guys seem even a bit protective of them. At least, they are tolerated enough to not be bothered. :)

Back
Top Bottom