How often does a rooster mate?

Yep, their testes are in their chest cavities - it involves a knife, chest-spreader, and teste-remover. It's a minor surgery, if you know what you're doing it only takes about 2 minutes per roo.

Some silkie roos are like yours, they will stay with the hen till she lays, or find her a suitable nest box and encourage her to use it. Some even keep the eggs warm while broody mama takes a break.

Yeah, it seems strange to castrate a rooster when the main reason to keep a rooster is so they can use that testosterone to protect and propagate the flock. The reason people caponize roos though is so that they don't get that testosterone in their system (you do it when they are about 1-2 months old, before their teen hormones kick in), then they can grow large without being aggressive or the meat getting tough. Folks who cap roos usually save them for their large meals, like Thanksgiving or Christmas. I've thought about it myself but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Wow! If I get my cockerel neutered, I won’t have to get rid of him? We are first time chicken owners, we love our cockere, he was supposed to be a pulley, but we don’t want fertilized eggs or aggressive food. Where do we get him ”fixed”?😳

Back
Top Bottom