How often does the auto turner rotate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tberggren, Mar 28, 2008.

1. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Maybe it's just me being paranoid but it seems like every time I check the eggs they are in the same up and down position. I had more eggs on one side than the other and thought that might make a difference, but just wondering if anyone knows, so that I can possible "catch it" in a different spot and verify that it is actually working.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It goes a full tilt once every four hours, from one side to the other.

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind is it? My Hova turner goes super slooooooooowwwwww. I can't tell unless I look and come back in half an hour.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I should add I'm talking about my Hova turner. I would suspect that others are probably the same.

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    My LG turner is once every 4 hours for it to go from one side completly to the other. The turner motor also "hums" so I know for sure when it's working

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh weird, Cynthia! Mine goes slower than molasses! Maybe it's a different kind. I just got it.

7. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Would it work to balance a penny on top of one the eggs? If it falls off, you know it moved.

8. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Quote:Good suggestion.
    Well, I don't know if it was working or not, but after balancing out the eggs it turned immediately.

Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by