How often does this happen?

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
One of my 12-13 week old barred rock cockeral just croaked over dead. Found him warm and dead under the roosts, no sign of trauma.

Those are the words I used with my husband, so I repeat them. I know they were appearing healthy (entire flock). I had not seen any illness. There were no marks on body, food and water available. Good ventilation and not a roasting hot day.

I am not looking for specific problem with this bird. I am curious how often a medium size flock loses a member. I have about 40 birds with large run, free range time etc. We lost one 3 weeks after a fox attack (lost 10 initially) where she was injured and now this one today that hadn't been harmed.

So, those with experience, how often do you lose one? Not by your own hand or another predator, but just one dies?

Know if we lose another anytime soon, I will be posting in emergency section. I feel bad but wanted rid of my boys anyway, but prefer meat for someone's table or flock guardian job, not wasted like he was today.

It can happen, age, a genetic flaw, organ failure.... just like with people, they are not always put together right inside, and as they grow, they put more stress on the weakness.

If you have good predator control, it is ironic, but you are more likely to have a death like this. My reasoning, is that the weaker bird, is more easily gained by the predator. When you have them successfully protected, they die on you and you find them.

As you mentioned, if you get another death, well one more, might still be just a goof, but more than that, and you might have another issue.

But generally, sometimes they just die.

MrsK

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I see what you mean by good predator control makes the weak birds more protected so more likely to die off instead of picked off by predator. Makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom