how often should a chicken poop

new chick mom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
My husband is convinced there is something wrong with one of our hens. She has not pooped a lot in the last day, and I know this because she is in my living room in a crate. He is watching her and waiting to see if she is ok. We sadly had a hen die a few months ago being egg bound and he is afraid this one may be as well. So my question, how often is a chicken supposed to poop. So she can go back out to the coop. HELP please

she is and drinking water .. more yesterday than this morning but her disposition is fine, she is very friendly and does not appear to be in any distress whatsoever..

I have a hen in a similar situation. She has stuff in her crop. It's not hard and not soft but I barely see her eating so I'm wondering if she has a problem. I've had her in a dog crate for over an hour now and she's nibbling on the food in there but no poop.

I lost my second favorite hen a month ago.

This hen that I have in the dog crate is my all time favorite hen and I will be sick if I lose her.

I wish I had the stomach to empty her crop for her to see what's in there. But I can't do that. Not to mention, she's molting and molting hard and just does NOT want me to pick her up.

My husband put gloves on and actually checked the egg vent to make sure she did not have a broken egg there stuck but even though she ate yesterday she seems to be not having much interest in it today.. she ate a little and pooped a small amount but it has been nearly 24 hours. but like I said she is pretty perky and "seems" fine... don't know what to do, put her back in the coop or keep her in the crate in the living room for observation... I will have to have hubby check her crop next.. I hate to put her through any uncomfortable moments for nothing though.

Last edited:
You can check her crop externally without any discomfort. It should be pretty clear with some gentle squeezes if anything is wrong. Just give it a feel for a normal food consistency. If she has been eating there some be something in there. You can without food overnight and check in the morning. (or at least let 4 hours or more with no food) It should be empty. Very hard or very soft and liquidy are a problem.

Thank you .. I will be doing this later in the day then... hopefully no problems ... I hate the thought of losing another hen, the first one was very hard on everyone

Ok people... I found a you tube video online and it showed a hen with the same issues ours was having and he gave her 1.5 ml of olive oil through a dropper holding the beak open.. Our hen did this with NO problems, much better than his handled it :) and after about 12 hours she was completely unclogged. going to the bathroom and much more energized. Her crop was full but clogged and the olive oil worked great!!!! and fast!!! she is already back in the pen and doing just fine with rest of our group.

Thank you for suggestions and hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom