How often should breeders...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Laskaland, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    ... check the fertility of their eggs? Like if I am hatching eggs and selling them, how often should I check their hatching rate and fertility?
    It just came up on another thread and I figured I would throw the question out there.
    My guess would be seasonally.

What do you all think? I tested mine in December and was pleased to be right at 100%- 9/9

Thanks
    CHristina

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I check mine at least every two weeks. Sometimes things like the weather can affect your chickens routines.

3. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I have a sportsman incubator and every week I put in at lest 3-4 of my black copper marans eggs to make sure I can back up what I am selling. I would not want to pay good hard earned money for eggs that somneone could not baak up their fertility rate. That is just me I know everyone does not and can not do this but that is what I am doing. I eventually will not put them in every week but I will still check at least 1 time a month.

4. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I think it'd depend on time of year and rooster/hen ratio. If it was spring and they had a decent r/h ratio, I'd say maybe once. If it was fall or winter, I'd say a lot more often. I have quail, and mine are 1:1 paired, but when I started I tested all the pairs to see if they were fertile and there's only one I'm still wondering about.

I mean.. really, it's not that hard. Even if someone doesn't have room for chicks, there's always hatchaholics who'd field test for them. If I was buying eggs, I'd like to see a report of fertility.
    -Spooky

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You can also crack an egg open and check for the bullseye, that way you aren't having to hatch chicks you don't want to take care of. That of course only tells you fertility, it doesn't help you know your hatch rate and all.

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Yeah..that's how I check fertility. Every morning I check 2 eggs as they hit the fry pan.

7. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    stupid question here [​IMG] :
    What does the bullseye look like and how soon would you see it in an egg (when you through it in a pan) ?

Thanks

8. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    the bulls eye will be in the yolk and it is a very small "dark" spot ususlly surronded by a thin white ring around it. It will be very easy to see if you look in the yolk , It looks just like a bulls eye on a dart board just a different color.

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Hatchaholics?
    Hey, I represent that remark! [​IMG]

I check each spring for my peeps. But I've never sold any eggs.
    When my millies start to lay I will test hatch so often I will be in trouble with DH [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by