How often should chicks get fed?

Nietz

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
New England
Simple enough question with a simple enough answer I am assuming but my mama said the only dumb question is the one unasked so there's that.

1) Should chicks have a never ending supply of food? If so until when? week what?

2) if the answer is "nope" then what should a feeding schedule look like through lets say week 1 through 6 or 7?

I've got 3 and a half week old chicks and I basically fill the feeder when I notice its empty so that they have food on demand, should I be feeding them on some kind of schedule or is keep the feeder full the way to go? These little chicks are growing fast! they appear to be almost fully feathered, is that pretty normal for 3.5 week olds? or is it because I am feeding too much? or? ;)

New guy at this and I figured I'd ask since I couldn't find specific answers to those questions.

Thanks!
Nietz.

Your chicks won't overeat, keep their feed available to them at all times. Even my full-grown chickens didn't overeat and always had food in their feeders.

The only chicks you may need to restrict feed for are broilers. Layers and duals can self-regulate.
I just leave food for them a all times, but make sure that you do not put too much so that the food will not get covered by pine shavings (if you use that). Also to not put the food on a plate on the ground because they will walk and throw it on the ground.

I free feed, but once a week I let them eat until they pretty much run out, then rinse containers and replenish.

I agree they should have feed available at all times, but be aware of possible spillage and waste. My chicks like to bill out feed into the bedding. It's fine to have the feeder empty for a bit and encourage them to clean up what has been spilled into the bedding.

I agree they should have feed available at all times, but be aware of possible spillage and waste. My chicks like to bill out feed into the bedding. It's fine to have the feeder empty for a bit and encourage them to clean up what has been spilled into the bedding.
I agree with this like for overnight sometimes they will run out so they clean up the spills they made.

Back
Top Bottom