How often should chicks get fed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nietz, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Nietz

Nietz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    New England
    Simple enough question with a simple enough answer I am assuming but my mama said the only dumb question is the one unasked so there's that.

1) Should chicks have a never ending supply of food? If so until when? week what?

2) if the answer is "nope" then what should a feeding schedule look like through lets say week 1 through 6 or 7?

I've got 3 and a half week old chicks and I basically fill the feeder when I notice its empty so that they have food on demand, should I be feeding them on some kind of schedule or is keep the feeder full the way to go? These little chicks are growing fast! they appear to be almost fully feathered, is that pretty normal for 3.5 week olds? or is it because I am feeding too much? or? ;)

New guy at this and I figured I'd ask since I couldn't find specific answers to those questions.

Thanks!
    Nietz.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Keep feed available to them at all times

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Your chicks won't overeat, keep their feed available to them at all times. Even my full-grown chickens didn't overeat and always had food in their feeders.

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We keep feed available all the time. Chickens won't over eat.

5. Nietz

Nietz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    New England
    I thought that was the way to go, Thanks for the conformation! appreciate the info.

Nietz

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The only chicks you may need to restrict feed for are broilers. Layers and duals can self-regulate.

7. HannahZuni

HannahZuni Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    I just leave food for them a all times, but make sure that you do not put too much so that the food will not get covered by pine shavings (if you use that). Also to not put the food on a plate on the ground because they will walk and throw it on the ground.

8. Yaychicks

Yaychicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    I free feed, but once a week I let them eat until they pretty much run out, then rinse containers and replenish.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree they should have feed available at all times, but be aware of possible spillage and waste. My chicks like to bill out feed into the bedding. It's fine to have the feeder empty for a bit and encourage them to clean up what has been spilled into the bedding.

10. HannahZuni

HannahZuni Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    I agree with this like for overnight sometimes they will run out so they clean up the spills they made.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by