How often should I check for bumblefoot?

Peas4Ducks

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
My three ducks will be nine weeks old tomorrow and they’ve been outside full time for about three weeks. They’re okay with hanging out near me but don’t like to be handled at all. I’ve been observing them daily and would notice if they started limping, but I’d really rather not catch them to check the bottoms of their feet unless necessary.

I’m curious how often others here preventatively check their ducks’ feet for bumblefoot?

For large breeds such as Pekins, I suggest examining the footpads every few months - for smaller breeds, you could check less often.
Although, if you focus on providing soft, dry, clean bedding you'll be drastically less likely to see bumblefoot occur.

For large breeds such as Pekins, I suggest examining the footpads every few months - for smaller breeds, you could check less often.
Although, if you focus on providing soft, dry, clean bedding you'll be drastically less likely to see bumblefoot occur.
Thank you for your reply.

One of my ducks is a Pekin. I can definitely catch them to check every few months, I just didn’t want to traumatize them by checking every few weeks. I appreciate the information!

Back
Top Bottom