How Often Should I Clean My Chicken Tractor?

JacobMaxwell

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
My chicken tractor has a 4X4 indoor area and two roosts, one 14" of the floor and the other about 2' off the floor. I have six hens. I have been experimenting with different depths of bedding and I'm wondering if anybody knows how deep I should make the bedding and how often I should clean out. Thanks in advance!

Well if you are trying the deep cleaning method then rake it once a week and then add more bedding on top every couple of weeks or so. After about a year I remove everything down to the floor and start all over. Remember clean chickens are happy chickens.

Well if you are trying the deep cleaning method then rake it once a week and then add more bedding on top every couple of weeks or so. After about a year I remove everything down to the floor and start all over. Remember clean chickens are happy chickens.
I'm not really sure about the deep litter method because, as I said, the low roost is only 14" of the floor and at least 6" of bedding would make the hens have to duck to get under the roost.

Back
Top Bottom