How often should I feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuulgrl, Nov 26, 2013.

1. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    They have dry pellets available all day.

I give them about 2-3 cups of fermented food in the morning and evening, which they finish.

The ground is getting too cold for foraging, so they camp out under my porches, waiting for food all day. They won't go back by the coop for the dry stuff at all. They pig on any scratch or mealworms I put out, like they are starving.

I'm thinking maybe I should put out fermented for lunch too? Ideas? Or more in the morning?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How many birds?

They will go back for the pellets if they're hungry enough. They won't starve themselves if feed is available.

My birds always act like they're starving when I have treats. Then again, so do my horses, dogs and children! Doesn't mean they're actually starving, or even hungry. Just that they're punks [​IMG]

3. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    7 birds. ;-)

They just act soooooo hungry. ;-)

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If you give them treats there, they will hang out there looking for treats.

Mine get their treats in the same part of the yard each time. When I walk into the garage where the sunflower seeds are kept they will head to that part of the yard in anticipation. Pavlov was right.

Chris

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I feed mine in the morning and in the evening, just a tad more than they will eat each time, but they still do the Pavlov act in the middle of the day. Actually they act like a school of viscious sharks no matter how much or when I feed them.

6. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Thanks!

I was not sure if I was giving enough to make up the difference in what they are no longer able to forage for. When it was warm I didn't worry at all, since they were always digging. Now that it's cold and snowy they hide under the porch all day, so I'm making up the difference.

I did see one of them eating some pellets today, so I think we're good. ;-)

Next question, what is best to ferment?

I have a scratch/pellet mix going. My question is what kind of ratio would be best? I'm not doing exact measurements, but guessing at about 60% pellets and 40% scratch right now. Does that sound ok? Can I put in more scratch since they LOVE the grains in it?

Ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by