How often should I give table scraps?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cristina, May 6, 2011.

1. cristina

cristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I have been giving them scraps every day. In the morning when I go out to collect eggs, and let them out of their coop, and say good morning, I usually come with treats to give them (last nights left overs, etc). I have only had my hens for a week, but it seems they are used to this and expecting it. Should I "discipline" them (is this possible)? Or is it fine to give them scraps every day. They follow me around if I am in their run area. Today, I went in their run with a plate of food for them, and one of them flew up to the plate! Is this normal? Is it good? I don't really like it. I don't want them to hound me for food.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Chickens are pretty much "all about the food". Don't think discipline will help.
    Everyday is OK, it is generally recommended that treats be kept to about 10% of their diet or less.

Imp- Course the more treats they get, the fatter they will get, the less able to fly they will get. [​IMG]

3. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I've been taking Yogurt to my ladies once a week for breakfast - DH says I'm spoiling them. I love watching them splash it everywhere. The Rooster looks funny with yogurt on his wattles for the rest of the morning. [​IMG] I have not given them food scraps other than fruit and veggies. They don't seem to like veggies at all, no peas, no green beans, no broccoli or cauliflower. Gee - like kids they only want the sweet stuff. Grapes and Bananas are the favorites.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I've been doing this for years. I keep a "chicken bucket" in the kitchen with a handful of scratch in it that receives all my kitchen food preparation scraps, cooking liquids/oils, and leftovers not fit for human eats that I toss out to the chickens every morning, then repeat.

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Actually, their obsession with treats is useful - when I want to go in the pen, I throw the treats over the fence away from the gate, so they won't slip out when I open it. If I don't have leftovers, I pull up some clumps of grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by