How often should you worm a flock of 7 chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaceek, Oct 25, 2009.

1. kaceek

kaceek Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2009
    Guys Mills
    How do you tell if chickens have worms?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Your local vet can do a fecal float test to check for worms. [​IMG]

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    People who do regularly worm - not everyone does, usually start (so i've read) around 6 months and then re-worm every six months or so.

Some won't worm unless they see evidence of worm infestation.

Some say they've never wormed - in 2500 years or so - and never needed to.

It must depend somewhat on where you are.

Some people use cayenne pepper and/or food grade d.e. as natural preventatives.

There are so many different practices on worms in this forum, it would be difficult to outline them all. [​IMG]

4. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Deworm....you don't want to worm them [​IMG]
    LOL, seriously though, I only dewormed mine once but they are my first flock at the new place and there hasn't been any chickens there before. I guess it all depends....tape worms are passed not from chicken to chicken but through an intermediate host like a snail or slug and they are relatively uncommon. Roundworms can be passed through feces so you may have to repeat at 3 to 4 week intervals as chickens will reinfest themselves through their eating habits. Nothing beats good house keeping though. Winter takes care of a lot of these pests in the environment but the parasite eggs can still be quite tough and survive in the soil. [​IMG]
    It's frustrating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by