How often to clean out the bottom of the coop?

Writingbug

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Payette, Idaho
We have a premade coop with a fence around it giving 4 chickens about 10 ft by 10 ft total to run around during the day and 6 by 4 during the night once they are cooped up. The inside of the coop part (was grass) is now dirt and poop. I was thinking I could shovel and put on the compost pile? Ideas? Will that work? How often do I scoop it up?

IM going to follow this too. The bottom of our coop and run area is totally enclosed with wire and it makes it horrible to clean, great to keep unwanted animals out though.

We have a premade coop with a fence around it giving 4 chickens about 10 ft by 10 ft total to run around during the day and 6 by 4 during the night once they are cooped up. The inside of the coop part (was grass) is now dirt and poop. I was thinking I could shovel and put on the compost pile? Ideas? Will that work? How often do I scoop it up?
Ideally you want the coop floor raised a little so that it stays dry during a heavy flooding rain. A wood floor will knock down the mud as chickens like to dig and scratch. Pine chips several inches deep on the floor will keep things dry and you can add as needed and replace for a full cleaning every few months or so and put that in the compost pile. If you have a poop board then you can scrape that each day and also put that in the compost pile. My garden and compost are several hundred feet away so I put the poop board waste in a small metal can with a lid and move it to the compost when full. Hope this helps

If you don't have a floor then you can make a quick and cheap one with plywood covering wood pallets as shown to the left.

Metal waste can shown. I use a putty knife and dust pan to clean the poop board each day while adding fresh water and feed.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom