1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often to feed ducks.................

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Graceful Acres, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Graceful Acres

Graceful Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Georgia
    I'm changing my duck food today and was wondering.........................how often do I feed my 5 week old ducklings? Up till today,
    I've give them all the food they want. Should I stop that now or ???

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    My ducks are 5, 4, and 2 weeks old I leave food out 24/7, unless they run out in the middle of the night then they wait until I open up the coop to get more.

3. Graceful Acres

Apr 29, 2010
    Georgia
    How old does a duck have to be before you stop leaving food out 24/7?

4. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I plan to always have feed available 24/7. Ducks will not eat until they pop, they only eat what their body needs. Same goes for chickens. So in my case I go out and fill feeders or top off feeders when I check on them. My grandpa did it this way for longer than I've been alive so I figured I'd follow his steps.

5. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    It depends on what you're raising them for and what size of duck they are (bantam, medium, etc).

You would want to feed meat ducks different than a pet.

6. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I also leave food out 24/7

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My ducks are 1yo and almost 1yo and then turning 1 later this summer lol (catch all that?) anyhow, food is left out 24/7. Plus they daytime forage.

8. Graceful Acres

Apr 29, 2010
    Georgia
    They are going to be pets. Thinking of getting a few more from either Holderreads (they require at least 10) OR Metzer's (where you can buy just a few.)

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    At 5 weeks I give food 24 hours a day.

When they are adults, I weigh their food, because ducks will overeat and get too fat. It's not good for their health to be all clogged up with fat. I feed the adults twice a day.

10. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    For pet ducks that you don't care about growing out quickly, you can feed them 3 or 4 times a day and they'll be fine. That's what I prefer, because I don't want them to grow super fast. My goal is longevity. I'm really careful about not letting any of my animals get fat, though. I think you'll be fine either way. Do whatever works best for you. As long as they are growing and not getting too fat, they'll be OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by