1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often to give crushed eggshells or crushed oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sutphindanesnchickens, Mar 18, 2009.

1. sutphindanesnchickens

sutphindanesnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    NorthofColumbus Ohio
    Had an issue with a hen laying an egg that had a soft shell so need to boost the calcium. How often should i feed back the eggs shells or oyster shells. they arent pecking at it by itself so i've been feeding it in a mush in a bowl to them.
    Thanks

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I keep a pan full 24/7 for the chickens. when they free range they get all the grit they need but in the run they need the oyster shell available to them. I never see them eating it but the level goes down so I know they are at it.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I've thrown a few hands full of oyster shell in the run area and also provide it in a container so they can free feed.

4. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have oystershells out free choice 24-7.

They "like" the eggshells better, but eggshells alone are not enough.
    Forcing calcium isn't good either.
    They will eat what they need-- just put it out there for them and refill as needed. You'll see the amount they go through changes over time. They "know" when they need it.

Sandra

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have it in the coop 24/7....its in a feeder of its own and they graze when they want it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by