How often to muck coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dbounds10, Apr 4, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    So our coop will be done in about 2 weeks and the girls will be moving in. I will have the 4x6 coop attached to a 12x18 run. I am going to have course sand with pea gravel for the outdoor run and I plan to use pine in the coop itself along with some DE in the shavings and the sand outside.

My question is, how often do I need to complely muck out the coop? I am hearing that using the deep litter method you only need to totally clean it out 2x a year? With my brooder, I am scooping the top layer every couple days and totally replacing once a week. I was planning to do the same with the coop. BUT - if I dont need to do it that often, I could save a ton in shavings.

I want the girls to be clean, healthy and happy so tell me how you all do it??

Also - My nest boxes are attached at the floor level so I cant really get the litter too deep...[​IMG] Did not really think about that before but I guess that limits me a bit.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. mdibaugh

mdibaugh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eaton rapids, Mi
    I have been meaning to ask some one what is DE?

3. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I'm not sure what you are "suppose" to do but I use shredded paper. I probably add paper every week or two and clean out about every three month.

4. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Diatomaceous Earth, use only the food grade kind. Not the swimming pool kind.

It's a natural element, silica, that slices up bug bodies but leaves soft bodies alone. It helps keeps lice/mites off the birds.

5. mdibaugh

mdibaugh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eaton rapids, Mi
    where can i find DE? TSC maybe?

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I was doing it every 2 weeks and DH convinced me that that was too often. He was right, in that a lot of the shavings were still pretty clean. I waited this last time until 3 weeks and t wasn't too bad. In between, I would sometimes scoop really heavily soiled shavings out and stir in cleaner stuff like from the corners. Like mucking a horse stall! I am interested to see what other folks say. [​IMG]

7. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Quote:I get mine at the health food store. Ours will get 50# bag for us if I need it.

8. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I pick out the big poo's every day, it only takes a couple minutes. DE dries up the little ones so I give those a stir. No smells, no problems!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, I like a clean coop, since I spend time out there. So I use dropping boards, which I scrape daily (takes only a minute). Doing this means the bedding stays clean forever...at least in Spring/Summer/Fall...gets a bit nastier over the winter months when they spend a lot more daylight hours indoors. My coop is a 6 x 8, and I probably go through about 4 bags of bedding a year. I do a complete clean out (change out bedding and wipe down walls, etc.) late fall, and another in early spring. I do mix DE into my bedding when I change it out. Obviously I don't do the DLM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by