How often?

Ok so I've let the humidity be for a couple of days and nothing has changed really. It went down to maybe 58 at the lowest and it keeps fluctuating up to 60. I've taken the plugs out and now I've taken about half the water out and it's still at 60. So what in the world am I supposed to do to get the humidity down? I'm going crazy here. Should I take out all the water and see where it goes from there. I read about the dry incubation but is it to late to start that method after three days of this? Please help me.
barnie.gif

Okay, maybe your humidity gauge is off. Try adding new batteries or get a second hygrometer to add to the bator.

Ok so I checked my gauge this morning and it was down to 55. It's one with a dial so it doesn't have batteries. I'm kind of snowed in right now so I don't have the option of getting a new hygrometer right now. Are there any other ways of reducing the humidity? Should I take out more water?

I'd take out alot of water and start from a lower humidity. You would need to take all the eggs out, set them in a carton til your finished, cover them if you want to help keep them warm with a dish towel or towel, take the turner out, remove most of the water, replace the turner and eggs. Give it quite a few hours to come back up to temps and see what your humidity is then. That's what I would do. Then when you can try to find a battery Springfield or an Accurite Hygrometer at Wal-mart. I have used those for years and have no problems with watching humidity levels.

How much of the water tray did you fill? Most have seperate sections and you only fill the middle one while incubating. Then fill a smaller one or 2 to raise the humidity for hatching.

I only filled the middle one that the instructions said to fill. I think that I maybe filled it way way to much. I took more water out this morning and it finally started to go down. Right now it's at 32 which I am much happier with.
big_smile.png
Now I'm pretty sure that most of you would agree that that's a pretty good place to be at right now. Would anyone suggest letting it get lower to make up for the four days that it's been so high? Or should they be fine and I should just keep it where it is until it gets close to hatching time?

No, I would keep it around 40-45%. Some people let it get down to 35% but I found the air sacs were too large on mine from too much moisture lost when I let it get below 40% for too long.

That sounds pretty good to me, I keep mine 30%-40% day 1-18.
And only add water if it falls below 25%

Back
Top Bottom