How old are eggs in the grocery store?

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
I've had several people ask me, and can't find a definite answer. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, I've been told that once the eggs are 30 days old, they can re-package them and then get at least another 30 days. True? Does anyone know where the regs are?

Erika

I saw one of those 20/20 type exposes awhile back that showed them rewashing, repackaging, and redating eggs and said they could be as much as SIX MONTHS old.

My hens have been laying since July 16th, so I haven't bought eggs since then. I still have some in my fridge that I bought a few weeks before I started getting eggs, and they're still good. They taste like NOTHING, though! And it's weird cracking the thin shells and seeing pale yellow yolks....

Anyways, they have a LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGG shelf life if properly refrigerater, so who knows how old the store bought eggs are!

They can be on the shelf up to 30 or 45 days depending if the stamp on it is a sell by or use by date. The pack date is always on there too.

I konw my own eggs are just fine sitting out on the counter for a few weeks or in the fridge for a few months. They are theroetically sterile inside and just dry out. I have some unopned eggs that are probably 6 or 7 years old now. Just dried out and roll around like one of those wobbly toys. Never will eat it, just shows they dry out without a problem. Matter of fact, the fluffiest egg cakes are made with older room temp eggs because the proteins have broken down a bit and are easier to whip up to a nice creamy foam. Dried older eggs are also easier to pell if hard boiled.

My husband did a search on this and they can be as old as 30 days old. Some make it to the store before the 30 day mark but they CAN be that old. And they tack on a two week shelf life on them after they get there.

California has a 30 use by date. The sell by date is optional. Eggs returned that are older than 30 days may not be sold. They probably add them to feed or something...just guessing.

My sister saw something like this too!
A lot of cities allow you to have a hen or two in your yard (no roosters)
To me it's worth knowing how old you're egg are by having your own!

Back
Top Bottom