How old are hens usually before they start laying larger eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mama24, Sep 25, 2010.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    We got 3 hens and a rooster about a month ago. They just started laying again this past week. We got 5 extra small eggs (1.35oz each
    ) and today I got an XL (2.35oz) egg. 1 hen was quite a bit bigger than the rest when we got them, though they are now the same size. But the other 2 still have tiny combs and she has a huge floppy red one. I am sure she is the one who laid the XL egg today. I suspected she was older than the others b/c of her size, wondering if the XL egg proves it. We were told they were all 8 mos old when we got them, so 9mos old now. They were sick and are still molting (probably due to the stress of moving then getting sick
    ? Plus fall is here.) so I would guess that's why the eggs aren't regular yet, we went 2 days without any before getting the XL egg today. What do you think? Her egg was very pretty, btw. They are all Delawares, the other eggs were more tan, and hers was very pink and the small end was very pointy, almost like a turkey egg. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They are individuals -- like so many things with them, there is no pat answer. Mine mostly seemed to lay their personal largest egg within a month or two of starting laying. I don't have Delawares, but I have similar breeds, "heavy breeds."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by