1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old are my hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by denisesbabies, Feb 26, 2013.

1. denisesbabies

denisesbabies New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    I posted this in another forum, but think it was not the right place. I am the mother to two barred rocks. The lady I purchased the from said they were 8-10 months old, however she had so many chickens I am not sure I trust her analysis. I have read that you can tell a hens age by her comb, but have not found a guide to judge by. Here are a few pics, if anyone can tell me anything about their ages I will appreciate it![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    you cannot tell the age by the comb. the comb is an indicator of health and egg production. your hens look healthy and young. I have no trouble believing they are the age said, but couldn't really say.

3. denisesbabies

denisesbabies New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    Thank you!! Since I already think of them as a part of my family, being healthily is the most important thing!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with smarsh - they look to be in their prime!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by