How old are store bought eggs?

December 27 my wife and I went grocery shopping. While she was running around I was "manning" the shopping cart by the egg cooler. All the eggs in the cooler were laid between November 8 and December 13. Using the 0-365 laying code.

Commercial eggs are sprayed clean with water of a certain temperature and probably some type of cleaning solution. It is against USDA regulations to submerge an egg in water. Using too cold of water and submerging eggs instead of rinsing is where the most problems come from when washing eggs.

Only God knows where I read it but commercial egg producers use some sort of wash that actually seals the egg again after washing. Please dont ask where I read it. As I get older....what?

Quote:
A helpful BYC person linked to this page on the commercial cleaning of eggs.

Mineral oil is used it says . . . some folks use vegetable oil at home.

That site has a nice list of information, including definitions and such.

Steve

edited to add: Just my own suspicion on the use of this oil, I think the commercial outfits are more concerned about dehydration of the eggs than decay.

Last edited:
My mother worked at an egg 'factory' a few years ago she said it was not unusal for eggs to be in cold storage for at least 3 month or more. factory lay hens have there ups and downs just like the hens we have. the date, is a pack date not lay date.

We all just ate a batch of 7 week old eggs my ladies laid(never refrigerated either). I saved them up for a big party and deviled them. Perfectly fine. All eggs have a long shelf life. it's a perfect food. Comes in its own package and probably could sustain you through a nuclear war. Not that the chickens would survive one, but you know, if you saved their eggs for a half a year or more.

Dredging up a REALLY old thread!

I looked at the store today, various Julian dates on ends of cartons.

Today is day 194 (July 14)

Freshest-packed cartons: day 187

Oldest I saw: day 155

I wonder if it's possible to get fresher than 7 days old, without going to a farmer's market?

The store bought eggs are sprayed with a type of oil after washing them. It keeps them "fresh" for a lot longer. I never notice any difference in taste from store bought, and home grown.

Everyone else on here says they do, but I fail to notice details usually.

Last edited:
Forgive me, but I am a dunce when comes to Roman or Julian calendar, would someone explain to me????

I am still scratching my head on the dates of the store bought eggs.

Back
Top Bottom