How old are they when they stop laying?

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
I know it has been discussed many times but I have still got some questions. First of all I have 8 hens4 BO 2 BR and 2 6 month old BO & BR mix. I have room for only 14 total. My hens turned 1 in August. How long will they lay eggs? I know some folks get rid of their hens after about 1 to 2 years but mine are pets with benefits and I plan on letting them live their lives out here on our farm. I am so tempted to get more hens but I need to stagger them so I can have fresh eggs along the way. How long will they live and how much of their lives do they lay?

Last edited:
There are a lot of people here more experienced than I am who I hope will jump in- all I can do is tell you what I have read on BYC and in a few books- they can live up to ten years and if kept healthy and well fed, will continue to lay for most of their lives, but nothing like their first two years of life. I remember reading somewhere on here that someone had an older hen that faithfully laid one egg a month, but I think this was a really old hen.
I am with you on letting them live out there lives- so it is important what breed you get- from what I have read your BR should still lay well after the first two years.
Hope you get better answers from more people!

I'm not really sure if this helps or not, but I had a BO lay well into her 5th year about one egg a day, but she took breaks a lot in the winter. She just now stopped laying this fall, I'm not sure if she is done for good though, its just getting colder here at night now and I bet once I lock them up with heat lamps she will start again.

And I also know someone who has a 13 year old hen who lays one egg a month, its actually pretty funny, she goes to get her duck eggs and every now and then she finds one chicken egg mixed in with them.
But I'm not really sure when they stop, I would also like to see what other people have to say.

They can actually lay almost indefinitely although the number of eggs will slowly dwindle over time.
I've had some for 3 years and they were still laying now and then.
A friend of mine has had one barred rock for six years and she still throws an egg or two out each week.

I have nearly 5-year old RIR's (3) and (1) Ameracauna that still lay an egg nearly every day. they do take breaks during the Florida hot, humid summer months. They lay more than my BO that are only 2 years old!

So it looks like after about 2 years they slow down and the older they get the less they lay. What do people like me do who want to give their hens a good retirement but yet keep young hens for eggs production but yet have limited space. I can't be the only one struggling with this.
hu.gif

Last edited:
It seems that only yesterday I was a hen newbie, but already my hens are on the egg production down-slide.

I have ISA Brown hens, which were fantastic producers the first 16 months (after reaching egg laying age), almost guaranteeing me an egg a day.

Currently I am getting, hmm... maybe one egg every second day, sometimes less. They seem to be eating more now, which affects the economy of raising older hens.

Anybody have a method to fatten laying hens up for the table?
wink.png

I hope that for some of us…we will be able to have more chickens. The way the economy is going I think the laws for city folks will have to change so that we can feed ourselves. I love my four girls and right now, I have no plans to eat them.

Dear Santa:

I would like a very big, pretty, strong, and brave rooster.
tongue.png
And…. Santa I want more girl chickens, and more wood, and more wire fencing, and more money, and more strength so help me god.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom