1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old are your eggs when sold?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennmugg, Aug 31, 2009.

1. jennmugg

jennmugg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    I plan to sell four dozen next Sunday. Some of them will be two weeks old and refrigerated by then. Is that OK?

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Sounds good to me..uuhh? Sold eggs..no everyone expects them for free!

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I sell mine daily so I dont have any experience to help you out.
    I'm sure that the ones folks get at the store are older than that [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When you buy store eggs they are between 2 weeks and a month old before they hit the counter. My eggs rarely last. I pretty much sell out every day. On the plus side if a customer is going to boil the eggs they definitely will peel better if they have been refrigerated for a week or two. If I get any eggs with a crack or punctured in any way, I throw them in the freezer and use them for baking. I have eaten them.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I normally sell mine daily or every two days, but I have kept them in the fridge for a week or so.

6. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I sell all my eggs when I go to the hot springs close to me for exercise classes. I go every Tue. So my eggs are a week old. It never seems to bother the people because they all want them. In fact today when I went in with only 4 doz eggs the man at the counter bought them all and the girls in the class were all put out that there were none left for them. One lady paid in advance for a doz for the next Tue so she would be sure to get some. LOL Once they get hooked on eggs from chickens that are raised on the land they don't want to go back to store bought.[​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are you talking about eating eggs or hatching eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by