How old before feeding pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by earthdirt, Jul 25, 2008.

1. earthdirt

earthdirt New Egg

May 29, 2008
    Central Maine
    How old should a layer chick be before they should be feed only pelleted feed? I have 8.5 week old barred rocks and black sex links. Should I stick to smaller mash type feed, or can they eat pellets?
    Thanks....

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Our 2 year olds have never done anything with the pellets except waste them. We've tried twice to change from laying crumbles/mash, without success. [​IMG]

3. Alleychick

Alleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My girls are 15 week old and they love pellets. I have had no problems with it.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I tried both pellets and crumbles. My birds prefer crumbles. I raised my feeder so it is level with their backs, and there is a lot less waste. Very little does get flicked out but they pickat that too. Mine have access 24/7 to their food and water. I give them treats of scratch, (oats, sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them

5. The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs

The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs Out Of The Brooder

i feed my chickens pellets, MUCH less waste that way, no mess, and also no nutrients are lost like in crumbles. i started feeding my hens pellets when they reached 18wks. i have always fed them pellets before they started laying since i dont want the meds in the eggs if there eating their chick mash.

6. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Is there a way to entice them to eat 'em?? should i make them mushy with water first?

when i put pellets out for my 16wk old girls recently, they turned their beaks up & they looked at me like i was crazy!!

Now I have a 50 lb bag of pellets and not one eating them.

7. The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs

The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs Out Of The Brooder

if you dont feed them all day and at night give them their pellets, they will eat them [​IMG] where you feeding them either scratch grains or milo before? i have found milo to be addictive and i have a hen that will ONLY eat milo and she follows me around all the time thinking i have some (its chickenzie).
    do the pellets have molasses in them? that is supposed to make the chickens eat them.

8. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I switched my standard breed chickens to pellets at 8 weeks with no problems. They can easily handle them.

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Think of it as the peas your mom gave you as a kid, if its the last thing on the plate, they will it. AND no desert till they do.

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:Think of it as the peas your mom gave you as a kid, if its the last thing on the plate, they will it. AND no desert till they do.

Ahhh yes the dreaded veggies left on the plate.... Thats when the dog under the table came in handy LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by