How old before leaving the brooder?

Sweetjelly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
I just read about how well Coturnix put up with Ohio winters. My babes are three weeks old and look fully feathered but I'm afraid to put them outside. My husband thinks they're ready. We have their temp in the house at 80 degrees under the lamp and cooler at the other end of the brooder. I'm in Central Florida and right now it ranges from 30 to 70 degrees. When are they old enough to go out? Three weeks seems sooo young!

I would wait until 4 weeks to put them out in 30*, but that's me. They will be fine next week with a heat lamp to adjust them.

Here In Central Florida This Time Of Year My 3-4 Wk Olds Make The Move From Tempid Brooders In The House To Heated Brooders Outside In The Barn, I Slowly Start Weaning Them Off Of Suplimental Heat Over The Next 2 Weeks Until They Have Acclimated To The Cooler Night Time Temps. Doing This Too Rapidly Will Lead To Piling And Chick Suffocations. I Dont Brood With A Thermometer, I Have A Bunch Of Lil Fuzzy Thermometers In The Brooders... Observe Your Chicks They Will Tell You If The Temp Is Ok

Back
Top Bottom