how old before they start laying

No, Toms do not lay eggs, I think we all know that! Chickens will start laying at 20 weeks, or 4 1/2 months for some chicken breeds, 6 to 7 months for others, but Heritage turkeys mentioned here take 8 to 9 months to lay and up North they are seasonal layers, like water fowl. In Southern Texas, these 2 breeds should start laying the end of March or April. In the South, turkeys will lay an egg almost every day until they start to molt in September, then start laying again, the following December! That is my experience with White Hollands, at least.

I know the tom's won't lay I was just getting anxious for some turkey eggs to incubate.
tongue2.gif

Finally!!! At least one hen has started to lay. I'm getting an egg a day, so they each laying every other day or 1 is laying everyday. Now my problem is they lay next to the nest box in the mud not in the nice clean nest box. If I put hay on the ground where they lay the hens scratch it around and still seem to get the egg in the dirt!!!!!!!!!!

around 6 mounths from experience but turkeys can tend just knot to lay if the weather dosnt meat there demands! unfortunitly

Back
Top Bottom