How old before you are supposed to offer grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by In2Ice, Jan 14, 2012.

1. In2Ice

In2Ice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    I have 4 pullets that just turned 4 weeks old yesterday. How long before I start to introduce grit in to their diet? I just started giving them a few mealworms as treats. I just wanted to make sure they would be able to digest them or anything else, like hay, that they might ingest. Right now they are still in a plastic tote lined with newspaper. They peck and eat the newspaper too?

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i started giving mine grit when they was about 3 wks which is when i started giving them treats. i bought the parakeet grit at walmart.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I give baby chick grit (extra fine ) on day 2-3. Because I start with greens very shortly thereafter. I want grit in their system before they get their first solid food).

If the food needs teeth to chew it, then the birds need grit before they get any of it.

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    You're good. They should be old enough by now to know that they shouldn't eat it as food. I gave mine grit too early and they would never eat their food just the grit, which has no nutritional value and it would just clog them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by