How old before you send a rooster to freezer camp?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rsarns, Aug 30, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    I have a cuckoo Marans cockerel that is 18-19 weeks old. He was supposed to be a she... LOL I have a Cuckoo Marans hen also, but no plans to breed either as they are hatchery birds. In my laying pen with him currently I have 2 BSL's, 3 white leghorns, 2 (supposedly) Langshans, 2 SS, 3 BR, 3 BO, 4 RIR's that are hens, and a 14 week old Wheaten Marans cockerel. The Wheaten will be going into the breeder coop/run soon with my other breeders. He is not friendly but not aggressive either, yet. My one BSL is jsut starting to lay (4 eggs in 4 days), the others all look close and many are sqautting! Originally I thought I'd just hang on to him, but I feel he is keeping my WHeaten Marans from becoming a dominant Roo like I want. I have no problem with processing him, just curious at what age would be best, and or should I keep him just to see what kind of cool crosses I could get? Not sure I want a barred Roo over any of those hens except maybe the Marans hen. What would you do?

Here he is:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I usually process mine at 16 weeks of age.

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Recently processed our FBCM roos at 16 weeks because they were driving the hens and us crazy. Not a lot of meat on them but what was there was good, and there was certainly more there than on a leghorn:)

4. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Also, about 16 weeks. Although I have processed an older roo that began flogging us on a regular basis and attacking our visitors.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Them ones... good eating. LOL.

6. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    We processed one recently that was 12 weeks and started crowing in our faces. Decent breast and leg meat, but the wings were scrawny.

7. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I also say 16 to 18 weeks....

8. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    I go strictly by live weight, at least 3 pounds. IMHO, YMMV.

9. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Well today ws the last straw for this cockerel. I had tried all the tricks for aggressive behavior, held him down until he submitted etc... This morning when my 12 year old went out to let them out, he attacked him.... 3rd stirke... so after the kids went to school I unfortunately decided it was time. Now remember I have a 24 x 24 run... so it was a you tube special had I filmed trying to catch him. Finally went and got the salmon net... that worked. Now I am a hunter, harvested many deer, elk, and many pheasants and ducks.... this was still the hardest thing for me to do. Even after catching him, I almost let him go. However, I knew it was time to send him to freezer camp. Tried to rehome him with friends but they all have enough roosters already.

10. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    My question here, I have a 14 week old (about) Wheaten Marans who has played second fiddle.... never even crowed yet.... Will he now become a dominant rooster? He is very shy and still runs from the hens when they chase him...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by