How old before you send a rooster to freezer camp?

rsarns

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
I have a cuckoo Marans cockerel that is 18-19 weeks old. He was supposed to be a she... LOL I have a Cuckoo Marans hen also, but no plans to breed either as they are hatchery birds. In my laying pen with him currently I have 2 BSL's, 3 white leghorns, 2 (supposedly) Langshans, 2 SS, 3 BR, 3 BO, 4 RIR's that are hens, and a 14 week old Wheaten Marans cockerel. The Wheaten will be going into the breeder coop/run soon with my other breeders. He is not friendly but not aggressive either, yet. My one BSL is jsut starting to lay (4 eggs in 4 days), the others all look close and many are sqautting! Originally I thought I'd just hang on to him, but I feel he is keeping my WHeaten Marans from becoming a dominant Roo like I want. I have no problem with processing him, just curious at what age would be best, and or should I keep him just to see what kind of cool crosses I could get? Not sure I want a barred Roo over any of those hens except maybe the Marans hen. What would you do?

Here he is:

88563_dscf1811.jpg

Last edited:
Recently processed our FBCM roos at 16 weeks because they were driving the hens and us crazy. Not a lot of meat on them but what was there was good, and there was certainly more there than on a leghorn:)

Well today ws the last straw for this cockerel. I had tried all the tricks for aggressive behavior, held him down until he submitted etc... This morning when my 12 year old went out to let them out, he attacked him.... 3rd stirke... so after the kids went to school I unfortunately decided it was time. Now remember I have a 24 x 24 run... so it was a you tube special had I filmed trying to catch him. Finally went and got the salmon net... that worked. Now I am a hunter, harvested many deer, elk, and many pheasants and ducks.... this was still the hardest thing for me to do. Even after catching him, I almost let him go. However, I knew it was time to send him to freezer camp. Tried to rehome him with friends but they all have enough roosters already.

My question here, I have a 14 week old (about) Wheaten Marans who has played second fiddle.... never even crowed yet.... Will he now become a dominant rooster? He is very shy and still runs from the hens when they chase him...

Back
Top Bottom