How old can chicks be before going outside in the day?

JoshR

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Hi. We just got 16 chicks and I'm going to be building a separate area in the coop to move them to when they get to big for the box their in right now. And I want to build a small, separate, completely fenced in, (including fencing in the top so nothing can get in) outside area for them. (it would be a 4x4 area) But my dad doesn't want to allow them to go outside until their big enough to be with the rest of the chickens, he's afraid that they will die and he will lose the money he paid for them. I live in Howell Michigan. So my question is. How old can chicks be before going outside in the day? I would make sure they are inside at night, and they will still have the heat lamp for the chilly nights.

I keep my chicks in the house and bring them outside for a few hours when they are 1 week old, when they become 3 weeks old a couple of hours, and when they were 5 weeks old I let them outside supervised by my bantam hen Mellow. When my chicks outgrew their brooder box they were about 3 weeks old then I moved them to my unused ferret cage (which they are using right now) they are about 8 weeks old now and don't have a brooder light anymore because they can sustain their body heat by themselves now. I would say that 6- 8 weeks would be old enough to live outside with out too much wind and a heat lamp for chilly days.

Last edited:
Hi. We just got 16 chicks and I'm going to be building a separate area in the coop to move them to when they get to big for the box their in right now. And I want to build a small, separate, completely fenced in, (including fencing in the top so nothing can get in) outside area for them. (it would be a 4x4 area) But my dad doesn't want to allow them to go outside until their big enough to be with the rest of the chickens, he's afraid that they will die and he will lose the money he paid for them. I live in Howell Michigan. So my question is. How old can chicks be before going outside in the day? I would make sure they are inside at night, and they will still have the heat lamp for the chilly nights.
welcome-byc.gif

I allow my chicks to go outside from day one... I understand his concerns but as long as they are supervised i see no reason why they cant go out as long as weather is ok. remember they need to be kept warm and are exposed to diseases while outside so i suggest a medicated feed and a vaccination for Marek's but thats not for everyone some choose to not do that so to each their own!

To answer your question though i would put my chicks out but keep an eye on them, the baby chicks are gonna be scared of the older ones and run and hide but its helps to introduce them

Back
Top Bottom