How old do chickens get before going broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaurenV, Jan 2, 2012.

1. LaurenV

LaurenV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    After asking around, most people said that Silkies, New Hampshires, and Cochins are the best brooders. I might end up getting some chicks from a hatchery. But, I need to know how old the hens get before going broody? I know that it is strictly up to the hen, but a rough number with some of your past experiences would be great. Thanks

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A truly broody strain or breed can start just a week or two after they first begin laying [​IMG] It really depends.

New Hampshires though aren't often known for going broody unless from heritage lines. (non-hatchery)

The reason Cochins and Silkies are said to be is because they're some of the few commonly found hatchery-source breeds that haven't had the trait bred out of them. Most common breeds can be VERY broody, moreso or equal to a Silkie, if you don't get them from hatchery originating stock [​IMG]

3. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Thankyou![​IMG] So in order to have a good broody Silkie, I should find one that isn't or wasn't in a hatchery?? Is that the same with Cochin or really any other breed?

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I would go with a silkie if you are wanting a broody hen. They go broody so often some people even call them living incubators. [​IMG]

5. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Thank you! I will defiantly try and get a Silkie, that is, if my dad will allow another chicken [​IMG]

6. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Cochins are good too. I have both and the cochin covers a LOT more eggs [​IMG] My cochin went broody fast too. She laid a few eggs and decided she needed to me a mama. [​IMG]

7. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Thankyou! I will also try and get a Cochin or more than one! Very helpful... Thanks again [​IMG]

8. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    My cochins are beautiful birds and they came from Mcmurray. They are the first birds people comment on. I have red, white and black. They have great personalities and are HUGE!

9. Buschie's dozen

Buschie's dozen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Buff orpingtons from cackle hatchery 5 out of 5 went broody after 15 months:D but 2 out of 5 Cochins :/did so some hatchery stuff are not all bad;)....................[​IMG] and yes silkies are very broody sometimes three clutches if temps and moods are right:D

10. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Is there a type of Cochin or Silkie that is better than another??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by