How old do chickens get before they dont lay eggs?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Squirrel Brandy, May 26, 2012.

1. Squirrel Brandy

Squirrel Brandy In the Brooder

May 26, 2012
    klamath Falls, Or
    Hi! Ive had chickens ever since I can remember. Not constantly as we moved a lot but for the most part all of the time. I have two hens in my little backyard town flock that are 6 years and 2 months old. The other 4 hens range in age from one year to 6 months. The two oldest hens are a Black Australorp and a Buff Orpington. The Buff (Kitchen Chicken) is still giving me 3-5 eggs a week. The Australorp (Bossy) hasnt laid a egg at all this year although she was laying occasionally last spring/summer. My three youngest hens, all Aracauna crosses, were hatched this last fall by Kitchen Chicken. Both of my old hens look great and keep the youngsters in line. Is it unusual for hens to be productive in their later years, or for that matter to even still be living? I always thought a 4 year old chicken was ancient. Lol! What is the average backyard chicken age? Will chickens lay eggs till they go to the big henhouse in the sky? Is Kitchen Chicken a Wonder Granny Hen?

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :lol: :welcome
    My chickens mostly stopped laying regularly at 2-3 years of age, but I know some can go until they're a few years older. Hens will typically lay occasionally when they get older.
    Not sure how old chickens can live to be (my oldest is 4 years old and still going strong although she doesn't lay anymore) but I've heard figures like 10 years floating around.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    [​IMG] I have a hen here that we had 5 years now. I'm not sure how old she was when we got her, but she was laying already. She still lays frequently and at the moment she's got chicks she's raising. She went broody twice over the past few months. Very active granny!

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I think somebody here has a chicken that is 15 yrs. I can't remember if it is still laying or not. :thumbsup

7. Squirrel Brandy

Squirrel Brandy In the Brooder

May 26, 2012
    klamath Falls, Or
    Ty for the great answers! I'm very glad to hear that I will have several more years to enjoy my hens. They're curious characters anc we all enjoy hanging out in the backyard. They supervise my work in the garden closely and have no problems pointing out spots I miss, or things not done to their satisfaction. :D

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

9. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to byc

10. [​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!
    as long as chickens are fed and dewormed they can live a long life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: