How old do ducks have to be to be old enough to mate?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitkatbahr, Apr 27, 2009.

1. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    I was wondering how old ducks have to be to be mature enough to mate? My littles are 4 months old, and they still seem very young. I don't want to put them in with the grown drakes until they are ready. I know the drakes will mate them at any age, but I want the hens to be grown before they have to deal with that! LOL

What age is considered teenage for ducks? My drakes are just over 1 year old, and they are definitely grown and ready to mate. How old should the hens be?

Thanks.

2. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    16 to 20 weeks is when mine started breeding....When I first added 2 new females in with my 2 drakes and 2 females alot of fIghting took place I didnt know if they would ever accept the 2 new ones..After a week or so they came around and was able to all be together.....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  3. Leenewbie

Leenewbie New Egg

Nov 25, 2015
    Hi There, I am new to backyard chickens and know this post is very old...but I was wondering.

I have one young Pekin duck (female) separated from the flock because the drakes try mate with her every chance they get. It gets too rough for her and they end up plucking her etc etc - its very hard to watch :( When is it acceptable for the females to mate?

Many thanks!

4. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Most ducks start laying eggs between 5 to 6 months so I would say that would be the best time. What is your drake to hen ratio?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You say drakes that doesn't sound good unless you have 3-4 ducks per drake they can also drown her in the pool if more than one try to mate her at the same time. You did the right thing by removing her.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by