How old do ducks have to be to be old enough to mate?

kitkatbahr

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Merritt Island, FL
I was wondering how old ducks have to be to be mature enough to mate? My littles are 4 months old, and they still seem very young. I don't want to put them in with the grown drakes until they are ready. I know the drakes will mate them at any age, but I want the hens to be grown before they have to deal with that! LOL

What age is considered teenage for ducks? My drakes are just over 1 year old, and they are definitely grown and ready to mate. How old should the hens be?

Thanks.

16 to 20 weeks is when mine started breeding....When I first added 2 new females in with my 2 drakes and 2 females alot of fIghting took place I didnt know if they would ever accept the 2 new ones..After a week or so they came around and was able to all be together.....

Last edited:
Hi There, I am new to backyard chickens and know this post is very old...but I was wondering.

I have one young Pekin duck (female) separated from the flock because the drakes try mate with her every chance they get. It gets too rough for her and they end up plucking her etc etc - its very hard to watch :( When is it acceptable for the females to mate?

Many thanks!

Hi There, I am new to backyard chickens and know this post is very old...but I was wondering.

I have one young Pekin duck (female) separated from the flock because the drakes try mate with her every chance they get. It gets too rough for her and they end up plucking her etc etc - its very hard to watch :( When is it acceptable for the females to mate?

Many thanks!
You say drakes that doesn't sound good unless you have 3-4 ducks per drake they can also drown her in the pool if more than one try to mate her at the same time. You did the right thing by removing her.

Back
Top Bottom