How old do Gesse need to be

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 41ford, Jun 1, 2010.

1. 41ford

41ford Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Hustisford Wisconsin
    I have 2 Goslings around 5 weeks old .At what age can I let them roam on there own .I keep them in a pen right now and They do not like it .Since the goslings have been with us for a month dothey count on us too much ?.If they have a shelter will they come back?

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I don't know what your property looks like but I know that I couldn't/wouldn't let my 5 week olds roam alone. There are so many dangers out there that can hurt them and at 5 weeks old, they don't know how to protect themselves.

I have my goslings in a flock with several adults and I only allow them to free range when I'm out there with them. Then again, I live inside 35 acres of woods with lots of predators.

Laurie

3. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    They will not run away, they have a strong sense of home (where the food and safety are). I've never had a goose or a chicken take off for vistas unknown, not even a guineafowl, and they are notorious for rehoming themselves where ever.

TennesseeTruly is right, absolutely. They are easy snacks for just about anything. Probably the reason they hate their pen is because YOU are not in it with them. They instinctually don't feel safe unless their parents are close at hand (you). As they get older, that goes away. I doubt they want out of their pen to roam, they just don't want to be away from you.

4. 41ford

41ford Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Hustisford Wisconsin
    I have chickens that free Range .Do Geese and chicken get along .Or is it like me and my sister .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by