How old do rabbit have to be?....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Feathers Acres, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    ..To be seperated from there mother? my neighbors rabbits just had babys. And there the really large breed rabbits not like normal lion head minies from pet stores. And they wanted to give me one but they were not totaly shure when they should seperate them and start to give them away.

any help?

2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I just purchased a Netherland Dwarf from a friend, and he siad they are weaned at 6 weeks.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    6-8 weeks

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    At least 8 wks.
    I work with ARPRN (rabbit rescue) so if you need any help let me know) [​IMG]

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    yep Hooligan's right.. We definatley make sure ours are eating and drinking by themselves, before we pull them and put them in another cage.. After about a week later I'll sell them..That way I know for sure that they are healthy.

6. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    I leave all my kits with their mothers until 8 weeks old, then I pull the boys. The girls will stay with mom until they are sold. Luckily, all of my does are extremely social and hate being left alone. I'll typically re-breed the doe once the kits are 8 weeks old, and she will have the next set when the older ones are 12 weeks old (they are hopefully sold by then).

I have one doe who consistantly nurses for 10-12 weeks, Standard Rex, and her babies get huge!

7. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    6-8 weeks. Wait till 8 if your getting the runt. The smallest should stay with the mom the longest, IMO.

8. warsawffagurl

warsawffagurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Warsaw, IN
    ive been breeding/showing/raising rabbits for quite some time...
    and the Rabbits Rabbits Rabbits book i've used for 4-h says anywhere from 4-8 weeks
    ive weaned at 4 weeks with dwarfsized rabbits before with absolutely no problems, but with larger breeds i like to wait at least 6 weeks usually 8 weeks...

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have californians. I wean at 8 weeks.

10. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Quote:I'd say the same!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by