1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old do you think these two are?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Slothy, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Slothy

Slothy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2015
    Was going for a walk this morning when I heard the faint noise of a duckling chirping. I couldn't see any ducks around so I thought I should look in the drains as they sometimes fall through the grate...sure enough there were two ducklings down one of the drains! Now I had a real problem because there is NO WAY I could lift that grate up by myself so I ran home to try and find something to get them out with, no luck :/ then I ran back to the drain, was going to start knocking on doors for help but luckily for me a lawn mowing van had pulled up really close to the drain and one of the men managed to lift the grate up for me so I could reach into the drain and grab them! :)

I have fostered ducklings before so I plan to raise them now. How old do they look? a week?[​IMG]

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    They look like they are a day or two. They most likely just hatched and were heading to the nearest water source when they fell in. I just fostered a little wood duckling this year too and had the police get 11 wood ducklings out of a drain in town that were thankfully returned to there mother.

3. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    I'd guess 3-5 days old. I don't see the egg tooth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by