How old do you think these two are?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Slothy, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Slothy

Slothy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2015
    Was going for a walk this morning when I heard the faint noise of a duckling chirping. I couldn't see any ducks around so I thought I should look in the drains as they sometimes fall through the grate...sure enough there were two ducklings down one of the drains! Now I had a real problem because there is NO WAY I could lift that grate up by myself so I ran home to try and find something to get them out with, no luck :/ then I ran back to the drain, was going to start knocking on doors for help but luckily for me a lawn mowing van had pulled up really close to the drain and one of the men managed to lift the grate up for me so I could reach into the drain and grab them! :)

I have fostered ducklings before so I plan to raise them now. How old do they look? a week?[​IMG]

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    They look like they are a day or two. They most likely just hatched and were heading to the nearest water source when they fell in. I just fostered a little wood duckling this year too and had the police get 11 wood ducklings out of a drain in town that were thankfully returned to there mother.

3. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    I'd guess 3-5 days old. I don't see the egg tooth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by